Wednesday, November 30, 2011

But the greatest of these is love.

It starting snowing today!!! I can’t tell you how long I have waited for this. The forecast has been predicting snow almost daily for the past two weeks and I have woken up and checked outside each morning hoping to see our balcony covered in fluffy white snowflakes. It have been years since I have seen snow and today is the first time I have actually witnessed falling snow! I am experiencing so many new things here in Toronto!
Okay...so you can't really see the snow falling, but this is the best I could do!

On Sunday night, we finally had our Thanksgiving Feast. A group of our cast members rented out the party rooms in our apartment building. They decorated the room with candles and flower arrangements and they organized all the dishes we brought in by category; there was a table for the main dishes, a table for sides, a corner for bread, and a table for desserts! Everyone was great about bringing in something for the whole cast. There was definitely enough to go around! We called our feast The Great American Thanksgiving and as a joke, one of the English guys in our cast entered with a tray of McDonald's cheeseburgers spelling out "God Bless America." The best part: the Americans totally ate them. Too funny.

Our Great American Thanksgiving was delicious. Definitely the best Thanksgiving feast I've ever had! We had SO much food. We have so many leftovers! 
We have some really talented cooks in our cast! My roommates spent days cooking special homemade recipes and all I did was open a couple cans of Cranberry sauce (definitely my favorite Thanksgiving food). I labeled it "Homemade Cranberry Sauce By: Alissa." A few people totally believed it for maybe...30 seconds...
Can you find my "Homemade Cranberry Sauce?"


I had a super long and tiring day of rehearsals yesterday from 8:45am-6:00pm. I learned three new dance numbers from two different shows. Today we have a put-together for one of our deck parties where we do all of the numbers we have in the order of the show. In this particular deck party, there are 7 dance numbers and I am in 5 1/2 of them. Today will be the first time we run them all one after another without stopping. It is going to be exhausting because it requires high energy the whole time! I also have to learned the lyrics to all of the songs so I can sing along.
I changed our small group night to Tuesdays so last night we got together. 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 has been popping into my head quite frequently lately so I read it to the group. I put in bold the phrases that really stuck out to me...
"Love is patient. Love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices in the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."  
God is love and I have faith in God because I feel his unconditional love. I try to live everyday for Him and I try to love people the way He loves them. But in order to share this love with others, it is crucial to know the definition of love. It is more than giving someone a hug or telling them “I love you.” It is loving them no matter what, under any circumstance, without anything in return. 
Patience is a huge aspect of love. I am very aware of the fact that I will be living with the same 44 people for the next 9 months and I would be lying if I said no one is ever going to get on my nerves or that I am never going to feel stressed or frustrated. But I know that my relationship and dedication to God will keep me calm and peaceful. 
Pride can also a serious problem in a group of performers. Cast lists go up and confidence levels heighten and it's easy to confuse self-confidence with pride. This is where patience comes into the picture. I am learning how to be patient and also learning to keep no record of wrongs of those who may hurt me with their pride. 
And this is where I have to remember the most important part of this verse: love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. I trust that God will keep me strong and rooted in His word when I feel frustrated or defeated because I know that God's love will always protect me and will always persevere.
My favorite.


No comments:

Post a Comment