Friday, November 4, 2011

Hello, Goodbye

Life is a continuous cycle of hellos and goodbyes. Personally, my life has been chalk-full of both salutations.  I’ve lived in two different states and I’ve attended 8 different schools.  Although I’ve lost connection with many friends over the years, I have also met some incredible people who I will love and cherish forever.  Switching schools and starting over and over and over again is difficult but I finally realize that God has been preparing me for this journey my entire life. He has taught me to be bold and personable. He has taught me to be compassionate and encouraging.  He has taught me how to adjust to new places and situations. It took me 19 years, but I finally understand why so many things HAD to happen for this amazing opportunity to arise.
Saying goodbye to friends or family you deeply care about is never easy. When I first got the job with Disney I was ecstatic and completely ready and willing to get up and leave without a moment to lose!  This was my dream job come true and I could not wait!!! But as the countdown to November 4th creeped up slowly, I began to feel scared and anxious about the journey ahead. I had just become very close with 6 amazing women, not to mention the countless other friends I met this summer, and I finally felt comfortable, accepted, and trusted by each and every person. It seemed unbearable to have to leave everyone. I started to realize that this new chapter in my life will open up so many opportunities and produce friendships all over the world.  Francis Chan writes about the disciples in Forgotten God : “They were no longer timid or confused; they were bold and inspired and began to declare and live the gospel of Jesus through the power of the Holy Spirit (68).” At this very moment, that is exactly how I am feeling! Although it is hard to say goodbye, I know that I will see my friends again and that we will all have so much to share with each other. It’s not goodbye, it’s just see you later!

Here is another thought-provoking quote from Forgotten God:
“Is it true that God may have called you to be exactly where you are. But it’s absolutely vital to grasp that He didn’t call you there so you could settle in and live life in comfort and superficial peace. His purposes are not random or arbitrary. If you are still alive on this planet, it’s because He has something for you to do. He placed us on this Earth for purposes that He orchestrated long before we were born ( Ephesians 2:8-10). Do you believe that you exist not for your own pleasure but to help people know the love of Jesus and to come fully alive to Him? If so, then that will shape your life in the place where you are (92).”


As I sit in the back row of this tiny jet on my way to Toronto, I realize that God is already answering my prayers. On my first flight from Orange county to Minneapolis, I was seated between two traveling businessmen who worked for a Lutheran-based Finance Company. They were very friendly and we struck up a conversation. I learned a little about their children and grandchildren and they asked questions about my job with Disney. The man to my left, Jay, noticed I was reading “Forgotten God” and he asked if I had always loved God. I very briefly explained to him how I was raised in a Christian family but lost my way a little throughout high school and just recently gave my life to Christ in my first year of college! I felt very safe on that plane where God had stuck me and He answered the panicked prayer I had said that night: “Keep me safe and don’t let me get lost like I always do.” 
As we exited the plane, Jay wished me luck with my career and told me to always remember Jesus through the hard times because the entertainment industry is tough. He said that this is my mission and I completely agreed. I know this is where God wants me to be. Th two men kindly helped me find the gate for my next flight. It was supposed to be a 35 minute layover, but our flight landed 30 minutes early. Perfect! I no longer felt panicked at finding my way to the right gate because God had seated these men beside me to give me a sense of comfort, safety, and encouragement. God is ALREADY answering my prayers!
       The main purpose of this blog is to keep my close friends updated on my travels and experiences while I am away training and traveling with Disney Cruise Line! I know that this journey is a gift from God and it is exactly where I am supposed to be. He is going to use me in so many ways but I know that it will be difficult to keep my focus on Him and His beautiful truth. So I ask for prayer from anyone and everyone who is willing to take the smallest fraction of time to pray for my protection, dedication, and diligence over the path that God has laid for me.

To all of my friends and family, I miss you already!!! Shout out to my Crave crew, my GNO girls, my small group sisters, my YAME loves, IVC, all of my UCSB dance majors, and last but certainly not least, my beautiful mother. Thank you for all you have done for me this summer! I am so blessed to call you my mommy! 
Alissa

6 comments:

  1. Sweet Alissa! Thank you so much for posting this! Please know that I will be praying for you as you are living this new chapter (or set of chapters) in your life. I am praising the Lord with you, thank you for the reminder about the disciples going out in the power of the Holy Spirit...also thankful that you are feeling that is how you are going out. God bless you, sweet sister! In His Love, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great to hear that quote as I go in for my auditions tomorrow. I'm super nervous but I know it's something I gotta do :). I'll be praying for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alissa, I enjoyed reading that snippet of your life story. You are an incredible woman who is going to do incredible things. Just continue doing what your doing and being bold in Christ; there is nothing you cannot do! I'll be keeping you in my prayers, God bless! - James

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jay sounds rad!!! I can't believe you are already there! The time went by so incredibly fast. It seriously feels like yesterday you were in IV and got the phone call about the job! God is so on this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Alissa,

    I am so proud of you and inspired by your courage in following Christ. I will absolutely be praying for you and I am so excited to keep updated with your blog!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was cute :) I'll be praying haha

    ReplyDelete